Maple and Pecan Hot Cross Buns
Prep: 30 minutes
Cook/Chill: 30 minutes
375g Plain Flour
100g Pecans, chopped
1 ½ tsp Dried Yeast
160ml Natvia Maple Flavoured Syrup plus extra for brushing
75g Unsalted Butter, melted
1 tbsp Cinnamon, ground
1 tsp Mixed Spice
1 tsp Salt
- Combine yeast, Natvia Maple Flavoured Syrup and 185ml of warm water in a bowl. Cover and leave to stand for 10 minutes.
- In a stand mixer, with a hook attachment, combine flour, cinnamon, mixed spice and salt. Add the yeast mixture and the butter and egg. On a medium speed, knead for 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
- Transfer to a large bowl and place in a warm area for around an hour to prove (the mix should double in size).
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease and line a medium sized baking tray.
- Divide the mix into 12 even pieces and roll into tight balls (if the mixture is too wet dust with flour). Place onto the prepared tray 2cm apart from each other. Cover with a clean tea towel and place in a warm area to prove again for 30 minutes.
- To make the piping, combine the flour and water together in a bowl and whisk to combine. Spoon into a piping bag fitted with a 5mm plain nozzle and pipe a cross on each bun.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden. The buns should sound hollow when tapped on the base.
- Remove from the oven and brush with extra Natvia Maple Flavoured Syrup while warm.
- Serve warm and enjoy!