FIG AND DARK CHOCOLATE HOT CROSS SCONES
Recipe by http://nourishtheday.com/fig-and-dark-chocolate-hot-cross-scones/
PREP TIME: 10 mins
COOK TIME: 20 mins
TOTAL TIME: 30 mins
Author: Gabrielle O’Dea –
Recipe type: Snacks
- 2 cups wholemeal spelt flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp mixed spice or ground ginger
- 3 tbsp Natvia stevia
- 1 tbsp molasses (optional)
- 50 ml rice bran oil (can use light olive oil or grapes oil)
- 180ml almond milk (or any milk of choice)
- ½ cup finely chopped dried figs
- ½ cup chopped 70% cocoa dark chocolate (approx 100g)
- melted dark chocolate, extra for the crosses.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius
- Mix up the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, spice and stevia in a large bowl until combined.
- Make a well in the centre and add in the molasses, oil and milk. Stir until just combined then add dried figs and chopped chocolate.
- Mix it all up until combined. You should have a soft, slightly sticky dough at this point. If it’s too sticky add a little more spelt flour.
- Sprinkle a little flour onto a large chopping board or clean bench top and tip out dough. Knead very briefly then pat the dough into a 2-3cm thick rectangle.
- Using a sharp knife cut the dough into 10-12 pieces. Place the pieces onto a baking tray lined with baking paper and bake for 15-20 minutes until just cooked.
- Allow to cool then drizzle over extra melted chocolate to create the crosses – I just used a spoon to do this but you can use a piping bag if you want it to be neater.
- Enjoy slightly warmed and try not to eat them all yourself.
- Best enjoyed on the day made.
To make these scones vegan ensure you use a dairy free dark chocolate.
Related Articles... See all posts
Use of this site constitutes acceptance
Create your new collection