Blood Orange & Almond Cake
You can find more sugar-free recipes like this one and more over on our Youtube at Healthy Treats. Liked this recipe? SAVE it to your collection
Serves: 6 - 8
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 1 hour
2 blood oranges (organic is best as you are using the whole orange, including the skin - use plainoranges if you can't find blood oranges)
6 medium eggs
250 g ground almonds
75 g Natvia
1 teaspoon baking powder (gluten-free if needed)
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
0.4 tablespoon ground cloves
A syrup made by pouring boiling water over 1 tsp Natvia, optional
Creme fraiche or yogurt, toasted flaked almonds and orange zest, to serve, optional
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/gas 5. Pierce the oranges all over and heat in the microwave in a bowl for 5 mins until soft (or boil for 2 hours on the stove). Allow to cool and remove the pips, then blitz in a food processor to make a pulp.
- Whisk the eggs in a large bowl, then add in the other ingredients and mix well. Add the orange pulp and stir until combined.
- Pour into a greased and lined 23cm (9") cake tin. Bake in the preheated oven for 45 mins - 1 hour, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- If doing the syrup, pierce the cake all over with a skewer while still warm and spoon over several tablespoons of syrup. This will make the cake slightly sweeter and more moist and dense. You can skip this step, if you prefer.
- Allow to cool slightly. Gorgeous served warm or cold with a big dollop of creme fraiche, full-fat plain yogurt or unsweetened coconut yogurt, toasted flaked almonds and/or a grating of orange zest.