Cashew and Rosewater Baklava
375 g filo pastry sheets
200 g light olive oil spread, melted
200 g cashews, coarsely ground
20 g natvia
200 g Nativa
1 cup water
1 teaspoon lemon juice
10 g cornflour, dissolved in 1-2 Tbsp of water
0.5 teaspoon rose water
- To melt olive oil spread, place in a small saucepan and gently heat on low.
- Grease a large baking dish (30 x 20cm rectangular) with melted olive oil spread.
- Place cashews and natvia in a food processor and pulse until a coarse crumb forms.
- Layer a quarter of the filo pastry into the baking dish, brushing melted butter between each layer. Let the pastry over hang the edges.
- Sprinkle a third of the cashew crumb over the pastry. Repeat with remaining filo pastry, melted olive oil spread and cashew crumb, finishing with a layer of pastry.
- Brushing top layer with melted olive oil spread.
- Neatly tuck pastry edges around the sides of the tray.
- Cut into 30 squares. Bake at 220°C for 10 mins, then at 180°C for 30-40 mins or until golden.
- Remove from oven and pour hot sugar-free syrup all over the surface whilst hot. Cool before serving.
- Whilst baklava is baking, prepare sugar-free syrup. Place natvia, water and lemon juice in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Slowly pour in cornflour mixture. Continue boiling for 5-10 minutes or until mixture thickens in to a syrup.
- Remove from heat and stir in rose water.