Prep time 45 minutes
Cooking time 35 minutes
1.5 cup Plain All-Purpose Flour
125 g Butter
0 Pinch of Salt
4 tablespoon Chilled Water
50 g Butter
0.5 cup Natvia
1 cup Dates, pitted
1 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
1 tablespoon Orange zest
- Preheat oven to 200C
- To make the pastry, in a food processor combine the flour and butter. Pulse until the mix resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add 2-4 tablespoons of chilled water and continue to pulse until the dough starts to come together.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead the dough. Form into a disc and then cover tightly with plastic wrap. Place in the fridge and chill for at least 20 minutes.
- Roll out the pastry in between two pieces of baking paper and place over the top of a greased tart dish/tin, trimming the edges. Cover the base with baking weights and then bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven, set aside and then reduce the temperature to 160C.
- Make the filling by combining the butter, Natvia and dates in a small saucepan with ¼ cup water. Bring to boil, add the orange zest and then simmer until the dates soften. Allow to cool.
- Using a bar mix process the date mixture until smooth before whisking in the vanilla and the eggs.
- Evenly spread the pecans on the pastry base and pour the date mixture over the top. Bake for 30-35 minutes until the filling is firm to the touch.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes in the tin before removing to a wire rack to cool.