Fluffy Lemon Blueberry Scones
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 25 mins
175 mls buttermilk (to make pour ½ tablespoon lemon juice (15mL) into a jug and top the rest (160mL) with soy milk. Leave to sit for 10 minutes.
2 cup plain all-purpose flour
2.5 teaspoon baking powder
65 g baking Natvia
0.5 teaspoon salt
1 zest of 1 lemon
50 g vegan butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup frozen blueberries
70 g Natvia icing sugar
3 teaspoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 200°C/ 392°F and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper and dust lightly with flour.
- Make the scones by making the buttermilk first. Meanwhile sift the flour, baking powder, Nativa and salt into a large mixing bowl. Stir through the lemon zest.
- Rub in the butter using your fingers. The mixture should look a little like wet sand.
- Stir in the buttermilk and vanilla using the sharp end of a butter knife. This helps to cut through the butter in the dough. Gently fold through the blueberries, being careful not to overwork the dough.
- Using your hands bring the dough together to a large ball. Transfer to the baking tray and flatten it down to make a 20cm/ 8 inch round. Cut into 8 wedges and place each wedge 5cm/ 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, they should be lightly golden in appearance. Leave to cool on trays for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Drizzle with glaze once cool.
- To make the glaze, mix both ingredients together to form a thin paste.