Lemon Meringue Pie
Servings 8-12 slices
IngredientsPastry: 1 1/2 cups/225g/7.9 oz plain flour 2 tbsp/16g/0.5 oz Natvia Icing mix 1/2 cup/125g/4.2 oz butter 2 tbsp/40ml/1.4 oz cold water Filling: 1/3 cup/50g/1.7 oz cornflour 1/2 cup/125ml/4.2 oz water 1 cup/250ml/8.4 oz lemon juice 2 tbsp/20g/0.7 oz finely grated lemon rind 3/4 cup/135g/4.7 oz Natvia 4 egg yolks (save the whites for the meringue topping) 1/4 cup/60g/2 oz butter Meringue Topping: 4 egg whites 3/4 cup/135g/4.7 oz Natvia 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 200°C and grease a tart shell.
- Mix together the butter, flour, and Natvia until pea size pieces of butter are formed.
- Add the water and vanilla extract and mix until it is well combined. Refrigerate until dough is chilled about 20 minutes.
- Place dough onto a floured surface and roll out the dough until it is the size of the pan.
- Place into the greased tart pan and cut off the extra. Place baking paper and then baking beans or pie weight into the pan.
- Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes until golden brown and baked through. Allow to cool.
- In a pot whisk together the corn flour, water, lemon juice, zest, and Natvia.
- Whisk over medium heat until it begins to boil. Add the yolks and whisk until thickened.
- Take off the stove and add the butter and whisk until combined.
- Pour into the tart shell and allow to cool completely in the fridge.
- In a clean bowl with a clean whisk, whisk the egg whites until frothy.
- Add the Natvia slowly as you continue to whisk the eggs until they form a medium to stiff peak.
- Fold in the vanilla extract.
- Top the cooled lemon tart by either piping or spooning on.
- You can either brown the top by using a brûlée torch or by placing in a preheated 200°C oven for 5 minutes until there is slight browning.
- Refrigerate until needed and serve with your favorite fruits.