Romanian Papanasi Doughnut
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 15 minutes
- 1 1/3 cup SR flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup Natvia
- 1 tbs lemon zest
- 250g ricotta
- 1 egg
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 5lt canola oil
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup sugar-free jam – see our recipe
- Combine the flour, baking powder, Natvia and lemon zest in a bowl and stir to combine.
- In a separate mixing bowl, using a fork combine the egg, ricotta & lemon juice.
- Gradually stir the flour mixture through the wet ingredients, until you have a soft and slightly sticky dough.
- Sprinkle the bench top with flour and knead until the dough becomes smooth, but still slightly sticky.
- Roll into 4 large balls and 4 small balls. Poke a hole through the large donuts with your finger.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan until about 180C. Drop in two large donuts and two smaller ones and fry until golden brown on each side, for about 5 minutes each.
- Place on a baking paper lined wire rack to cool.
- Once cool top one of the large donuts with some sour cream and jam and place a smaller donut on top.