Three Layer Custard Slice
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 50 minutes
110 g butter, melted
500 g milk (2 cups)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 eggs, separated
140 g Natvia natural sweetener (¾ cup)
1 tablespoon Vinegar
75 g all-purpose flour (½ cup)
- Preheat oven to 160ºC. Line a square tray with baking paper.
- In a saucepan, heat milk and vanilla extract until warmed through.
- Beat egg whites and vinegar until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg yolks with sweetener until light and creamy. Stir through the melted butter until combined. Add in the flour before slowly pouring in the warm milk. Batter will be quite runny.
- Gently fold through the egg whites, a third at a time. Pour batter into prepared tin and bake for 60 minutes. The centre of your slice should still jiggle when you remove it from the oven.
- Allow slice to cool completely before removing from the tin and slicing. You will see a thick custard layer at the bottom, a soft custard centre and a sponge-like cake top.