Vegan Donuts with Mock Cream Filling
Serves: 5-6 donuts
Prep: 2 Minutes
Cook: 10 Minutes
- 2 tsp natvia sugar
- 2/3-3/4 cup/160-185mls Warm water
- 1 tsp Dry Yeast
- 1 tbsp/20g melted vegan margarine
- 1 1/2 cups/225g plain or bakers flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp/28g natvia sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup/60g vegan margarine
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp/65g natvia icing sugar mix plus more for dusting
- 1.5 tbsp/30ml/1 oz Boiling water (approx.)
- 1 tsp Ice cold water
- 2 tbsp/40g sugar free jam
- In a bowl or bread maker, add 1/2 cup warm water, 1/2 tbsp Natvia sugar, yeast and salt. Let rest for 5 minutes, then add the rest of the ingredients. Add water slowly until a dough is formed. Let the machine knead the dough for 30 minutes.
- Remove the dough, place in a bowl, cover in plastic and let rise for an hour.
- Cut the doughnuts into desired shape (e.g. circle, with hole, sausage). Place on a lined baking tray and let rise for 15 minutes.
- While donuts are rising, slowly heat some vegetable oil in a deep saucepan. Once simmering, but not too hot (if too hot the doughnuts will burn on outside and won't cook the inside), add one doughnut at a time, cooking for approx. 3 minutes, making sure you flip the donut halfway.
- Once they have been cooked, prep the mock cream. In a bowl, dissolve the icing sugar in some boiling water (1/2-1 tbsp). Mix. In another bowl, beat the vegan butter until creamy and almost white. Add the icing sugar mix slowly for around 10 minutes. Add 1 tsp boiling water, beat, then add 1 tsp ice cold water, and beat again.
- Decorate your donuts! I sliced the sausage donuts and filled them with cream and jam, then dusted everything with icing sugar.