Apple Blueberry Muffins with Hazelnut Crumble
- Set oven to 140 degrees and line a baking tray. Place hazelnuts on the tray flat and put in oven for 10 minutes until you can smell them and they are a light brown/their skin starts peeling off.
- Place hazelnuts in a tablecloth, wrap the tablecloth so none of the hazelnuts can come out and rub in a circular motion in your hand so the skins come off. Some are tougher than others and will take longer. Discard the hazelnuts whose skin won’t come off - chop remaining hazelnuts
- Increase oven temperature to 170 degrees and line muffin trays with muffin casings.
- Place dry ingredients in a bowl and combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and butter.
- Grate apples and squeeze a little lemon juice over the top and mix in dry ingredients bowl.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and mix wet into dry ingredients until just combined - lumpy is good!
- Add coated blueberries and gently mix through - set aside.
- To make crumble topping, using your hands, rub together the butter and the flour until combined.
- Add the rest of crumble ingredients and use your hands to combine.
- Divide the muffin mix into muffin casings 3/4 of the way full. Top with crumble mixture and press down so the crumble sticks while baking.
- Bake for 16-20 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean and the crumble is golden brown.