Cinnamon Pecan Shortbread
Serves: 11-12 cookies depending on size
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 15- 20 minutes
- 4 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups blanched almond flour
- 1/4 cup + 3 tsp coconut flour
- 1/4 cup Natvia
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 each Egg whites
- 1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans plus halves for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment or a nonstick pad and set aside.
- Melt butter in the microwave or on the stove top and set aside to cool slightly.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the almond flour, coconut flour, Natvia, cinnamon and salt.
- Add the egg whites, butter (which should be cool enough that you can hold your fingertip in it for 5-10 seconds without flinching) and vanilla, and stir until evenly combined. It sound be slightly sticky.
- Fold in the chopped pecans.
- Gather the batter into a ball and turn it out onto a cutting board. Let it rest on the cutting board for 5 minutes, which will allow the coconut flour to absorb the moisture completely.
- Once the excess moisture has absorbed, roll the dough out into a disc approximately 1/2" thick. Use a biscuit cutter (or glass) to cut out circles of dough.
- Transfer the cookies to the prepared cookie sheet, spacing them about 1" apart.
- Gently press one pecan half into the center of each cookie.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until the edges are golden, remove from the oven and transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely and firm up before serving.