Deep Dish Dark Chocolate Cake with Almond Butter Swirl
IngredientsCake: 1/4 cup + 1.5 tbsp/90g/3 oz butter 1/2 cup/90g/3 oz chocolate chips 2 large eggs 1/2 tsp vanilla extract 1/2 cup/125g/8.4 oz no sugar added applesauce 3/4 cup/75g/2.6 oz blanched almond flour 1/2 cup/45g/1.5 oz cocoa powder 1/2 tsp baking soda 1 1/2 tbsp/21g/0.7 oz Natvia 1/8 tsp salt Swirl: 1/4 cup/60g/2 oz creamy unsweetened almond butter 1/2 tsp Natvia pinch salt 1/4 cup/45g/1.5 oz chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180°C. Coat a 6" springform pan with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In a large microwave-safe mixing bowl, melt the chocolate chips and butter/coconut oil together by microwaving on high for about 60 seconds until nearly melted, and stirring until completely smooth.
- Stir in the rest of the wet ingredients (eggs, vanilla, applesauce).
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (almond meal, cocoa powder, baking soda, sweetener, and salt) and then stir the dry mixture into the wet mixture.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and smooth into an even layer.
- In a separate bowl, prepare the swirl by stirring together the almond butter and granulated sweetener. Distribute spoonfuls of the almond butter across the cake (or pour into a zip top bag, seal it, snip off the corner, and use it to pipe thick lines of almond butter across the cake), then gently drag a butter knife or toothpick through to create the swirl pattern.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until tester comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 15 minutes, before removing from the pan and cooling completely on a wire rack.
- Melt the remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips and, while still warm, drizzle over the top of the cake. Allow to set before serving.