Paleo Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
3 cup rhubarb, chopped
3 cup strawberries, hulled and sliced
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1.5 tablespoon tapioca starch/flour
0.25 cup Natvia
1 teaspoon cinnamon, to taste
0.25 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 cup blanched almond flour
2.25 tablespoon coconut sugar
1.5 tablespoon ground cinnamon
3 teaspoon coconut flour
0 pinch salt
0.5 cup pecans, finely chopped
0.25 cup melted coconut oil (or butter if not vegan)
0.25 cup maple syrup (or honey if not vegan)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C. Lightly grease a pie plate and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, fold together the rhubarb and strawberries until combined. Add the lemon juice and stir gently.
- Stir in the tapioca starch, Natvia, cinnamon and cardamom. Taste and adjust spices if desired.
- Pour the filling into the prepared pie dish and set aside.
- For the crumble topping, whisk together the almond flour, coconut sugar, cinnamon, coconut flour, and salt. Add the pecans and stir briefly to incorporate.
- In a separate small bowl, mix together the coconut oil and maple syrup. Add this to the dry (flours/sugar) mixture. Stir until it has the consistency of a slightly wet cookie dough.
- Use your fingers to crumble the topping dough evenly over the top of the fruit filling in the pie pan.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes until the filling is bubbling around the edges and the rhubarb is tender.