Homemade Picnic Bars
Prep time: 2 hours 30 minutes
Cooking time: 2 hours
1 cup cashews
1.5 cup almond meal
0.5 cup Natvia
0.25 cup cacao powder
80 g unsalted butter, cubed
2 tablespoon chia seeds
2 tablespoon coconut cream
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
0.25 cup peanuts
100 g sugar-free chocolate, melted
- Soak the cashews in boiling hot water for at least 1 hour.
- Grind the chia seeds in a mortar and pestle and then soak in 100ml of water for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a food processor blitz the almond meal, Natvia, cacao powder and butter until it resembles breadcrumbs and sticks together between two fingers.
- Stir through the chia seeds and then press into a 30x15 cm tin greased and baking paper and bake for 6-8 minutes at 180C. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Blitz the drained cashews, coconut cream and vanilla in a blender or processor until smooth. Spread over the base. Sprinkle over the peanuts. Freeze for 2 hours.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave for about 1-2 minutes, stirring at 30 second intervals. Drizzle the top of the bars in the melted chocolate and then carefully remove the bar. Line the tin in fresh baking paper and pour in the remaining chocolate, smoothing with a spatula. Remove the baking paper from the bar and place on top of the chocolate. Move to the refrigerator and chill for at least 2 hours.
- Slice into 10 bars using a sharp knife and enjoy