SUGAR FREE FIG AND DARK CHOCOLATE HOT CROSS SCONES
PREP TIME 10 mins
COOK TIME 20 mins
TOTAL TIME 30 mins
Ingredients2 cups wholemeal spelt flour 2 tsp baking powder 1 tsp cinnamon ½ tsp mixed spice or ground ginger 3 tbsp Natvia stevia 1 tbsp molasses (optional) 50 ml rice bran oil (can use light olive oil or grapes oil) 180ml almond milk (or any milk of choice) ½ cup finely chopped dried figs ½ cup chopped 70% cocoa dark chocolate (approx 100g) melted dark chocolate, extra for the crosses.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius
- Mix up the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, spice and stevia in a large bowl until combined.
- Make a well in the centre and add in the molasses, oil and milk. Stir until just combined then add dried figs and chopped chocolate.
- Mix it all up until combined. You should have a soft, slightly sticky dough at this point. If it's too sticky add a little more spelt flour.
- Sprinkle a little flour onto a large chopping board or clean bench top and tip out dough. Knead very briefly then pat the dough into a 2-3cm thick rectangle.
- Using a sharp knife cut the dough into 10-12 pieces. Place the pieces onto a baking tray lined with baking paper and bake for 15-20 minutes until just cooked.
- Allow to cool then drizzle over extra melted chocolate to create the crosses - I just used a spoon to do this but you can use a piping bag if you want it to be neater.
- Enjoy slightly warmed and try not to eat them all yourself.
- Best enjoyed on the day made.