Swedish Cinnamon Buns
You can find more sugar-free recipes like this one and more over on our Youtube at Healthy Treats. Liked this recipe? SAVE it to your collection
Prep: 60 minutes
Cook: 40 minutes
- 1 x 7g sachets active yeast
- 1/3 cup lukewarm milk
- 3 cups plain flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 110g unsalted butter, melted
- 1/3 cup Natvia, plus extra
- 100g unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup Natvia
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Combine the years and lukewarm milk in a small bowl and stand for 5 minutes, until bubbles start to appear on the surface.
- Sift the flour into a bowl and add the cinnamon, salt, butter, eggs and yeast mixture, mix with a wooden spoon until combined. In the bowl of an electric mixer with the dough hook on, mix the dough for 5 minutes until it starts to come together. Place in a large bowl and cover with a damp tea towel or plastic wrap for approximately 45 minutes 1 hour.
- Punch down the dough and cut in half. Knead the dough gently and then roll out in between two sheets of baking paper to 60cmx20cm
- Beat the butter in the bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in the Natvia, cinnamon until combined. Remove the top sheet of baking paper and spread the butter mixture on the dough, leaving some space around the edges. Starting with the longer side of dough, firmly roll into a tight log. Using a sharp knife slice the log in half and then divide each half into 12 scrolls. Place these, scroll side down on a baking paper lined 20x30cm oven tray. Stand for 45 minutes or overnight, covered with a damp tea towel.
- Make the egg wash by combining the egg yolk with the milk. Brush the tops of the scrolls with the egg wash.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Cover with alfoil and then cook for a further 15-20 minutes.
- Stand on the oven tray for 5 minutes and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Sprinkle over extra Natvia
- Eat same day