Vegan Baked Strawberry Pie
IngredientsCrust: 2 cups/300g/7 oz wholemeal flour 1 tbsp/14g/0.5 oz Natvia 1/2 tsp salt 2/3 cup/160ml coconut oil, chilled 2/3 cup/160ml/5.6 oz Unsweetened Almond Milk, cold Filling: 6 cups/750g/1 lb 10 oz fresh or frozen strawberries 1/2 cup/90g/3 oz Natvia 3 tbsp/33g/1.1 oz Corn starch 1/4 cup/60ml/2 oz Fresh orange juice
- In a bowl, sift together whole meal flour, Natvia and salt. Add coconut oil and rub it into the flour with your fingertips until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Don’t fret about a few lumps - it will all bake together beautifully! Make sure you aren’t touching the oil for too long or you’ll risk melting it into the flour.
- Add almond milk and stir together with a fork until the dough comes together - you may need an extra ½ to 1 tbsp. of almond milk if the dough is too crumbly.
- Using your hands, form dough into a bowl and wrap in cling wrap. Leave to chill in the fridge for 1 hour.
- About 15 minutes before your dough is ready, preheat oven to 200c. Grease a 10-inch pie dish with a removable bottom with coconut oil.
- In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients for filling and set aside.
- Remove dough from fridge and cut out ¼ for the top layer - wrap this back into the cling wrap and leave to chill until ready to use.
- Lightly flour your work surface and rolling pin with flour. Taking the remaining ¾ of dough, roll out into a large, thin 13” circle. Loosely wrap the dough around your rolling pin and transfer into prepared pie dish. Cut off the excess parts of dough (around the rim) with a sharp knife.
- Fill pie with prepared filling. Take remaining ¼ of dough and roll out thinly. Using a heart shaped cookie cutter, cut out hearts and arrange on top of strawberries.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the filling is bubbling and the dough is golden brown.
- Turn off oven and allow pie to cool completely before serving - this will give time for the juices to set so the filling doesn’t pour out when you cut it!
- When ready to serve, cut into ten slices. You could reheat the slices slightly in the oven if you prefer the pie warm :)