VEGAN MASCARPONE FIG TART
Servings 8 tarts
Ingredients1/2 cup/60g/2 oz Buckwheat flour 1/2 cup/60g/2 oz Sorghum flour 1/4 cup/30g/1 oz Brown rice flour 6 tbsp/120g/4.2 oz vegan margarine 2 tbsp/28g/1 oz natvia sugar 4-6 tbsp/100-120ml/3.4-4.2 oz Ice cold water 1 3/4 cup/450g/15.8 oz vegan cream cheese e.g. tofutti 6 tbsp/168g/6 oz brown rice syrup 4 tsp Lemon zest 1 each Lemon, juiced 3-4 each fresh figs
- For the pastry, sift all the flours together and then add the sugar. Mix in, then “cut” in the vegan margarine. Then add the water until a pastry is formed. Roll into a ball and leave in the fridge for an hour or more.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Roll out the pastry, dust with gluten free flour as needed, and press into a spring-form tart pan. Pierce the pastry with a fork, cover with baking paper, then fill with baking beads. Blind bake this for 20 minutes.
- Remove the pastry from the oven, take off the baking beads and baking paper, then place back in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove, then turn the oven down to 160 degrees.
- For the filling: add the cream cheese, lemon juice, zest and rice malt syrup to a saucepan on low-medium heat. Whisk until the cheese softens and it becomes smooth.
- Pour the filling onto the pastry base, top with the figs and bake in the oven for 40 minutes. You can either serve warm (letting cool for around 30 minutes) or let it set in the fridge overnight. Top with pistachios or rose petals as desired.