Vegan Raspberry Scrolls
Prep time 3 hrs 20 mins
Cook time 45 mis
Serves 12 scrolls
0.75 cup soy milk, warm
2.5 teaspoon yeast
3 tablespoon Natvia
2.25 cup plain flour
1 teaspoon salt
0.25 cup coconut oil, softened
280 g frozen raspberries
0.25 cup Natvia
1 teaspoon arrowroot powder
0.5 cup Natvia Icing Mix
1.5 tablespoon soy milk
0.5 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Begin by making the dough. Combine the warm soy milk, yeast and Natvia in a jug. Leave for 10 mins for the yeast to activate. At the end of the 10 mins the mix will have a foamy layer on top. If it doesn't have this wait a little longer or check to see if your yeast has expired. There has to be a foamy layer on top otherwise the scrolls will not be fluffy.
- Meanwhile in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the kneading attachment, mix together the flour, salt and softened coconut oil. I used my fingertips to help break up the oil and evenly distribute it into the mix.
- With the mixer running on low speed, slowly pour in the activated yeast mixture. Knead the dough on low speed for 8-10 minutes, until it's smooth and bounces back when touched. If the dough is too dry, add in 1 tablespoon of warm water into the mix. Continuing doing this until a pliable dough has formed (I needed 2 tablespoons). If you don't have a stand mixer, knead the dough with your hands. Transfer the dough to a greased bowl, cover with a tea towel and place in a warm area to prove for 40-60 minutes or until doubled in size. Here's what I do. Preheat my oven to 40°C, turn it off and place the bowl in there with the oven door closed.
- Grease a 24 cm x 24 cm baking dish. Once the dough has doubled in size, place it on a floured surface and knock it back a couple of times. Using a rolling pin, roll to an even 30cm x 40cm (12 x 16") rectangle. I use my ruler for this.
- Make the filling. In a bowl toss all the filling ingredients together. Sprinkle the berry mixture over the dough, making sure to go right to the edges. Break some of the larger raspberries up so everything is evenly spread. Sprinkle any remaining sugar mix over the berries.
- Tightly roll the dough to form a 40cm long log. Cut into 12 even scrolls using a serrated knife. Place them into the greased baking dish, cut side up. Cover with a tea towel and place in a warm area to prove for 2 hours OR overnight** The dough will double in size.
- Once the scrolls have finished proving, preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F fan forced. Bake the scrolls for 35-45 minutes, covering with aluminium foil in the last 15 minutes to stop them from over browning. The scrolls should be lightly golden brown on top. Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 10 minutes.
- Make the drizzle. In a small bowl, mix together all the drizzle ingredients until smooth. Pour drizzle over the warm scrolls. Serve.