Vegan Cherry Pie
0.5 cup pecans
1 cup desiccated coconut
1 cup almond flour
0.33 cup Natvia
0.25 teaspoon ginger
3 tablespoon coconut oil
0.5 cup pitted cherries
0.75 cup water
1 lemon (for slices of lemon peel)
2 cinnamon sticks
0 pinch of salt
0.25 cup Natvia
3 tablespoon chia seeds
0 slivered almonds
0 flaked coconut
- Preheat oven to 175°C.
- Chop 1/2 cup of pecans coarsely and add to a large mixing bowl.
- Add 1 cup of desiccated coconut, and 1 cup of almond flour.
- Mix these dry ingredients around until evenly combined.
- Add 1/3 cup Natvia, and 1/4 tsp ginger to the dry crust mixture and stir around.
- Add a pinch of salt and also stir that into the mixture.
- Add 3 tbsp coconut oil and mix around until the coconut oil has evenly bound the mixture.
- Press the crust mixture into a baking tray and flatten evenly.
- Bake the crust for 12-15 minutes at 175°C or until browned.
- Add 1/2 cup of pitted cherries to a saucepan, along with 3/4 cup of water.
- To the saucepan also add; few slices of lemon peel (grate), 2 cinnamon sticks, and pinch of salt.
- Bring the mixture to the boil and add 1/4 cup Natvia then continue to simmer for another few minutes whilst stirring.
- Remove lemon peels and cinnamon sticks from the mixture.
- Remove from the heat and add 3 tbsp of chia seeds to the cherry filling. Mix well with a spoon until completely combined.
- Spoon the cherry filling into the crust mixture once out of the oven.
- Top with more cherries and sprinkle almonds and coconut on the top of the Cherry Pie.
- Bake the pie for a further 7-10 minutes at 175°C.