Lemon and Poppy Seed Muffins
2 flax eggs (mix 2 tbsp ground flax seed with 5 tbsp water and leave aside in a bowl)
0.25 cup vegan margarine / non-dairy butter/spread (room temperature, soft)
0.25 cup Natvia
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 tablespoon lemon juice
1 Zest of 1 lemon
1 cup buckwheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoon almond milk
2 tablespoon poppy seeds
2 tablespoon maple syrup (optional, omit for diabetics or low GI)
2 tablespoon non-dairy butter at room temperature
2 tablespoon Natvia
2 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and line a cupcake / muffin baking tin with cupcake cases.
- Prepare your flax eggs by mixing the flax seeds and water in a bowl and setting aside.
- Put the margarine in a bowl and whip with a fork or a handheld whip.
- Add the Natvia and mix, then add the flax eggs and mix until totally combined.
- Add the vanilla, lemon juice and lemon zest and combine.
- Now add the buckwheat flour, slowly, and mix as you go until you have added it all, then add the baking powder, then the almond milk and poppy seeds and mix until incorporated.
- Spoon the mixture between the cupcake cases and bake for around 12 minutes, or until a fork comes out clean but they are still fairly moist.